Welcome to Community Sustainability Services (CSS)
CSS support a wide range of clients / groups through our various sustainable services, the main groups include:-
- Older people and vulnerable
- Community groups / Charities
- People with disabilities
- Low income families
- Socially excluded
Services/opportunities provided by CSS include:
- Furniture Stores
- Restoration / upcycling workshop
- Handyperson service
- Gardening service
- Joinery service
- Painting and decorating service
- Training, volunteering and supported placement opportunities
- Sign posting
CSS has two furniture stores where we collect donations of furniture and house hold items which we then re-distribute at a low cost to the general public and other community benefiting groups. This helps people in need and diverts “bulky waste” away from landfill.
CSS have a restoration / upcycling workshop which provides a work based training environment for people with disabilities to use their skills and abilities. They are trained in a number of tasks including furniture restoration / upcycling. This teaches them work and life skills and promotes social inclusion whilst also providing a better quality of furniture for our customers to purchase.
CSS have Local Authority contracts to provide a professional handy person / minor alteration service and also other community benefiting services.
This service offers fabrication of external metal handrails, provision of temporary wooden ramping, banisters and other items needed for people to remain in their own homes.
CSS have a subsidiary company, SCFS (Contracts) Ltd which provides gardening/landscaping, handyperson, painting and decorating, joinery and many other services. These services are available to anyone and are charged at a competitive rate. All surplus monies are invested in the charity (CSS)
CSS provide a valued link to other local services and community groups, including:-
- Adaptations and improvements to ensure homes conform to decent home standard provided through the Home Improvement Agency.
Training, Volunteering and Supported Placements
CSS are able to offer basic work based training and development opportunities in the following activities areas:-
- Warehousing skills, including manual handling and lifting
- Office administration, including telephone and client-facing skills.
- Driving and goods handling, including teaching multi-drop
- Furniture repair, refurbishment and upcycling
- Gardening, including the use of hand tools
- Painting and Decorating
- Handyperson – Joinery -woodworking tasks